My guide to rstblog
written on Monday, May 9, 2011
For about six months now I've been using Armin Ronacher's minimalist blog "platform", rstblog. For static blogs like this one, it's great. However, it is definitely not a plug-and-play blog solution. It has definitely had a learning curve, but nothing too intimidating. This post will describe some of my experiences with rstblog over the past six months, and some of the optimizations I've made to the publishing process.
Before I go any further, I want to thank Morten Siebuhr, whose excellent blog post on rstblog helped me both configure and maintain my blog. He illuminated some of the general points of rstblog, and before you go any further, please read it.
First, rstblog is so called because it is powered by reStructuredText, a very powerful, easy-to-grok markup syntax. (It's right up there with Fabric on my "Idiot-Proof/Time-Saving" graph.) I never realized how pervasive rst is, until I decided to move to rstblog from Tumblr. Using Armin's blog platform (which he calls a "Not-invented-here site generator") has paid dividends just in terms of the knowledge of rst I've been forced to acquire.
- Some other concepts & tech with which I've had to get familiar in support of rstblog:
- YAML - Specifically, getting a grip on how finicky it can be about whitespace.
- Makefiles - I knew make is how Linux compiles or otherwise builds software. But I was not aware of how to put Makefiles into play to control this behavior. (I'm really getting sick of mentioning this guy here, but Brett Hoerner has a simple Makefile here that I incorporated into my own workflow.)
- virtualenv - Though virtualenv is now so pervasive in my dev work that I don't really remember a time when I wasn't using it, I know I first used it for my blog. I consider this to be a canonical explanation of why virtualenv is great. (Not that I'm a keeper of canon or anything.)
- RVM - I use Blueprint to manage CSS files for each of my websites. Blueprint requires Ruby. I'm an idiot, so I need Ruby Version Manager to help me be not stupid.
The big, tough nut to crack for rstblog, from my perspective, has been workflow. Nowadays, mine looks like this:
- Fire up emacs on my local machine and create blog post.
- Tab over to terminal, cd to my blog's root directory (still on local machine).
- $ make clean
- $ make build
- $ make upload
Pretty fast. It's nearly instant. However, there were some confusing spots when I first started.
First, note that I did no work on the server hosting my blog, excepting the initial directory creation. Everything was created locally, and my Makefile took care of pushing data to my live server, courtesy of scp. Don't make the mistake I did last December/January in doing all the work on the remote end. Make a single /blog/ directory on your local machine and use that as your staging area.
Beware extraneous files
The second thing to be aware of is that the build process for rstblog is a big vacuum. It does not discern between .rst, .rst~, #foo.rst#, overmyhead.jpg, asco.png, etc., files. It will create a blog entry for every file that is in either a <yyyy>/<mm>/<dd>/ format directory or in the blog's root directory (mine is /a/mattdeboard.net/blog on my local machine). Before you make build, ensure that there's nothing but entry.rst in that day's directory.
For example, if use vim and you're working on an entry titled "Matt's birthday" for June 3, 2011, you'll do:
[email protected]:/a/mattdeboard.net/blog$ mkdir -p 2011/06/03 [email protected]:/a/mattdeboard.net/blog$ vim 2011/06/03/matts-birthday.rst
If vim does an auto-save/backup of your file mid-edit, you may wind up with a matts-birthday.rst~ file in the directory along with matts-birthday.rst. rstblog's build process will create a blog entry for each. So make sure you somehow curate your directories and remove extraneous files. (For emacs, I added the following to my .emacs file:
(setq backup-directory-alist '(("." . "~/.emacs_backups")))
If you use anything else, you're on your own).
I found that when I accidentally created unwanted blog entries as described above, they were really persistent about sticking around my root index.html file. Finally I figured out that I had to delete the remote blog/index.html file and re-make upload. That fixes it.
CSS & syntax highlighting
As you may be able to tell, I'm as excited as a puppy who just found his penis about syntax highlighting in my blog posts. That's because I recently figured out how to get it working using Pygments and CSS.
A word about CSS: Use Blueprint for organizing and maintaining your CSS files. It makes things a million times easier once you get the hang of it. The finer points of Blueprint are beyond the scope of this post, but here is my bash alias I use to roll any CSS changes into my build:
alias er="cd /a/mattdeboard.net; . bin/activate; cd /home/matt/blueprint/lib/; ruby compress.rb -p blog; cd /a/mattdeboard.net/blog; make clean; make build"
I am 100% sure I'm doing it wrong with Pygments. I have the styles hard-coded in my stylesheet, which I don't think I need to do. rstblog has support for Pygments, so it doesn't make sense that I'd need to put them in my stylesheet. However, it's done, it works, it looks how I want, so fixing it is an extremely low priority. If you've got insight on how this actually works, I'm all ears!
I like having this much control over the under-the-hood components of my blog. If you don't see the need, it's probably not worth the time investment. However, if you're a relative newcomer to Linux and/or Python, and you have the desire to learn more about both while simultaneously wanting to stab yourself in the face occasionally, I strongly recommend checking out rstblog. It is a great vehicle for self-education.